Campaign for our Communities
The Campaign for Our Communities was formed to improve the strength of the Massachusetts economy and the quality of life for Massachusetts residents. To achieve these goals, we need to make smart investments in our people and communities. To fund those investments we support tax reforms that will raise substantial new revenue while holding down increases for low and middle income families and seniors.
- Our families and our communities need investments in the services, schools, and infrastructure that make Massachusetts a great place to live and work
- In order to make the necessary investments, we will need to raise significant new revenue.
- Any revenue package should protect low- and middle-income families and seniors from big increases.
- Revenues raised should be invested in a broad array of services, including but not limited to improving our transportation funding structure.
Our model legislation, An Act to Invest in Our Communities, would raise $2 billion dollars by restoring the income tax rate to 5.95% while increasing the personal exemption to hold down increases for low and middle income families, and raise the tax rate on investment income to 8.95%, with an exemption for low and middle income seniors. The CFOC would support other legislation that would achieve these goals.
Our plan is to pass major revenue reform in the Commonwealth. In order to do that, we have:
- Mobilized activists to call for adequate revenues to invest in our communities through local grassroots organizing and social media outreach.
- Demonstrated local support through municipal resolutions, forums, and press coverage.
- Built a broad coalition of allies.
- Educated the public on the need for revenue and community investment.
- Met with legislators in their local communities to discuss with them the need for revenue.
To learn more, contact Rebekah Gewirtz, Campaign Co-Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.